AW Staff Receive Grants from the AW Education Foundation
Congratulations! Numerous AW teachers and staff applied for and were awarded grants from the Anthony Wayne Education Foundation (AWEF). The grants totaled $6,184.90. Since it's inception, AWEF has awarded over $55,000 in grant monies to deserving teachers and staff in order to provide outstanding educational opportunities to the students of Anthony Wayne.
This year the following staff received grants:
- Brianne Black, Monclova Primary received $300.00 for a Sauder Village visit
- Mike Black, FTMS received $500.00 for K'NEX Ed. Forces, Energy, & Motion
- Kim Buehrer, Waterville Primary received $199.00 for Scoot Pad Software
- Robin Buffy, Waterville Primary received $435.00 for Sumdog Smarties
- Lisa Dick, Monclova Primary received $467.77 for a Mobile Makerspace & STEM Lab
- Jessica Haney and Zoe Winkelman, AWJH received $557.51 for Manipulatives for the junior high
- Dr. Hollinger, Mrs. Murry and Mr. Rhodes received $1,500.00 for the Toledo Zoo Outreach Program
- Megan Melnyk, Heather Bauer, Jim Bolone received $500.00 for Dystopian Literature Circles
- Shane Pransky, Whitehouse Primary received $500.00 for the 4th Graders are "Owl In"
- Karen Seeger, Monclova Primary received $230.42 for the 4th Grade Math and Science Night
- Cindy Smigelski, Monclova Primary received $495.20 for K-2 STEAM
- 5ht Grade Science Teachers at FTMS received $500.00 for Grade 5 Space Day
AW Board Recognizes Teacher and Support Staff Members of the Year
We are very proud of the staff we have at Anthony Wayne Local Schools and the work they do to assist students. Each year the District selects two individuals, one classified and one certified, to recognize as staff members of the year. This year Andrea Ponstler and Harold Smith were chosen to be the Anthony Wayne Local Schools’ Staff Members of the Year.
Andrea Ponstler is in her eleventh year of teaching at AWLS. Her first year she began as a math tutor at Whitehouse. Her second year, she transitioned to third grade where she taught for seven years. The past three years she has taught Title One Reading; she is the chair for that department. She is also always willing to take on many extra duties such as coaching and serving on District committees.
Miss Ponstler possesses many great qualities that make her an excellent selection as Certified Staff Member of the Year. Each day she consistently demonstrates enthusiastic kindness and compassion for both students and staff. She is always willing to go the extra mile to see that the needs of her students and colleagues are met. She does an outstanding job changing what she does to meet the needs of students. Anthony Wayne is very fortunate to have her as a member of our staff.
Harold Smith better known as “Smitty” is the Classified Staff Member of the Year. He works as a bus driver in the Transportation Department. He has held that position for nine years. Before beginning to work at Anthony Wayne Local Schools, he worked for and retired from the US Postal Service for 37 years.
Mr. Smith enjoys talking to the students and learning about them and their interest. He especially enjoys the information shared with him from the younger students and when the students that he has driven in the past stop by his bus to say hi and tell him how they are doing. He believes that through his position can have a positive impact on the start and the end of each student’s day. It is for these reasons and many more that we are proud to recognize Harold “Smitty” Smith has the Classified Staff Member of the Year.
AWHS Presents Peter and the Starcatcher
October 16th - 20th is National School Bus Safety Week
Whitehouse Drinking Water
The District received the attached notice from the Village of Whitehouse concerning the latest testing that was completed on the drinking water that is supplied to the Whitehouse area. With this testing event it was determined the same issue exists as was previously found in the last water assessment. We feel it is important to share this notice in order for you to determine if you would prefer to supply your student(s) with water from a different source (e.g., bottled). The District will continue to communicate with Village officials concerning this matter. If you have any questions concerning the notice or the water supply, the Village has offered to take all questions. You may call Steve Pilcher at 419-877-5383.