Anthony Wayne

Local Schools


Anthony Wayne Local School District News Article

Free and Reduced-Price Meal Applications Now Accepted

July 1, 2023

Dear Anthony Wayne Families:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Anthony Wayne School District offers healthy meals each school day. Breakfast is $1.75 for all grades; lunch is $3.25 for grades K-8 and $3.50 for grades 9-12. New for 2023-24: Students who qualify for reduced-price meals will receive breakfast and lunch free.

This letter includes an application for free or reduced-price benefits and detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to assist you with the application process.

Who can receive free or reduced-price meals?

All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Ohio Works First (OWF); foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court; children participating in their school’s Head Start program; children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals. Also, your child may receive free or reduced-price meals if your household income is within the federal income eligibility guideline limits.

Household Size




































Each Additional Person:




I receive Women, Infants and Children (WIC) benefits. Can my child receive free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please submit a completed application.

How do I know if my child qualifies as homeless, migrant or runaway?

If members of your household lack a permanent address; are staying together in a shelter, hotel or other temporary housing arrangement, relocate on a seasonal basis - or  you have children who live with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household, then the children may qualify as homeless, migrant or runaway. If you have not been told your children will receive free meals, please contact AWLS Homeless Liaison, Kevin Herman at 419-877-5377 or [email protected]

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

My child’s application was approved last year? Do I need to complete a new application?

Yes. Your child’s application is valid only for last year and the very beginning of the new school year. You are required to submit a new application unless you have been notified by the school that your child is already eligible for the new school year.

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Please use one free and reduced-price school meal application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an incomplete application. Please submit all required information. 

What if there is not enough space on the application for my family?

List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper and attach it to your application.

Should I complete an application if I received a letter this school year saying that my children are already approved for free meals?

No, but read this letter carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from the eligibility notification, or you have questions please contact the food service director at 419-877-1229.

Can I apply online?

Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application. The application requirements are the same. Visit to register an account and to learn more about the application process. You may contact the food service director at 419-877-1229 with questions. Paper applications should be submitted to:

Megan Menchaca, Food Service Director

Anthony Wayne Junior High

6035 Finzel Road

Whitehouse, OH 43571

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount you usually receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, submit the report with the routine amount of $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it - but if you only occasionally work overtime, do not list it.

What if some household members have no income to report?

Householders may not receive some types of income you are asked to report on the application, o may not receive any income at all. In these instances, please write a 0 in the corresponding field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, they will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank.

We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay from deployment is also excluded as income.

Why am I being asked to give my consent for an instructional fee waiver?

Ohio public schools are required to waive the school instructional fees for children that qualify for free meal benefits. School food service personnel must have parent consent to share the student meal application if your child(ren) qualify for a fee waiver. If you agree to allow you child(ren)’s meal application to be shared with school officials to determine eligibility for a fee waiver, then select yes in part 5. If you do not wish to have your application shared, then select no for part 5. Answering no to this question will mean your child will not be considered for a fee waiver. Answering this question with a yes or no does not change your child(ren)’s eligibility for free or reduced-price meals.

If I do not qualify now, may I apply later if my situation changes?

Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year. For example, if a parent/guardian become unemployed and the household drops below the income guideline limits, the children may become eligible.

Will the information I submit be checked?

Yes. You may also be asked to send in written documentation.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

Please contact school officials. You may also request a hearing by calling or writing to the Food Service Director using the contact information supplied above.

My family needs more help. What other programs are available?

To find out how to apply for the Ohio Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or other assistance benefits, contact the local assistance office or call 877-852-0010.

If you have other questions or need help, call: 419-877-1229

Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al teléfono: 419-877-1229

Si vous voudriez d’aide, contactez nous au numero: 419-877-1229


Megan Menchaca, Food Service Director

Anthony Wayne Local Schools

Attachments Available to Download:

Print This Article
© 2024. Central Administrative Office.
All Rights Reserved.